In December 2017, the Council of the University of Cape Town (UCT) adopted the Inclusivity Policy for Sexual Orientation in spite of submissions made on behalf of the His People Society and FOR SA objecting to various parts of this policy – specifically because it is clearly following international trends and setting the stage for radical sexual identity ideology. Our concerns include the following:
- The policy applies to all students, societies, lecturers, staff and even 3rd parties rendering services to the University. Given that this policy is ideologically opposed to biblical values and norms, it sets the stage for conflict.
- It insists on “inclusivity” of all sexual orientations in any speech or other communication so e.g. if a Christian society produced a brochure to promote a “Dating & Courtship” lecture, there would be the expectation that same sex couples etc. would also be illustrated.
- It states that people must be addressed by their “preferred pronoun” with penalties imposed for non-compliance, which is essentially “forced speech”.
- It provides for mandatory “sensitisation courses”, which are simply ideological brainwashing.
FOR SA (and the His People Society) have communicated to the University that we are reserving our rights and will contest erosions of freedom of religion, speech and related rights.
Our further concern is that UCT is often a “trend setter” and that this policy could easily be extended to (and implemented on) other university campuses (as we understand is already happening e.g. University of Johannesburg and others).
Support FOR SA
Freedom of Religion South Africa (FOR SA) is dedicated to protecting and preserving the freedoms and rights that the South African Constitution has granted to the faith community. You can help FOR SA protect our freedom by:
- Making a financial contribution to FOR SA at http://forsa.org.za/donate/ As a non-profit organisation, we are entirely dependent upon God’s grace for finances. Your generosity will help make a significant difference as we work to fulfil our mission to keep the Gospel free by advocating for religious freedom. We appreciate every gift, big or small!
- Signing up (at no cost) to FOR SA at http://forsa.org.za/contact-us/join-us/ and subscribing to our Newsletter.
- Praying for us as we defend this precious freedom before government and courts of law.
- Following us, and sharing our posts, on Facebook at “Freedom of Religion SA”.
- Informing us, should you become aware of any case in which religious freedom is threatened.