FOR SA’s Legal Counsel appeared on behalf of one of the “Friends of the Court”, in OGOD’s application to remove Christianity from all South African public schools in the Johannesburg High Court recently.
FOR SA’s Advocate Nadene Badenhorst was part of the legal team of one of the “Friends of the Court”, putting forward strong arguments against OGOD’s request for a Court Order that will (if granted) severely limit the right to freedom of religion in the context of our public schools. OGOD, which is a secular atheist organisation, claims that it wants to see equal treatment of religion in schools, but it is evident from their arguments before the court that the outcome they desire is no Christianity in schools. Although this case only involves six public schools with a Christian ethos, the result will affect all 24,000+ public schools in SA.
This case was argued from 15-17 May in the Johannesburg High Court in front of three judges, and judgement has been reserved. This means that they will take time to deliberate their judgement which will likely only be published in a few months’ time. Regardless of the outcome, this case will certainly be appealed and probably ultimately be decided by the Constitutional Court. This is something for prayer, since it has the potential to fundamentally affect the learning environment of the children of this country for many years to come. FOR SA will continue to be engaged in this case, so your prayers and financial support for FOR SA is very important.
Support FOR SA
Freedom of Religion South Africa (FOR SA) is dedicated to protecting and preserving the freedoms and rights that the South African Constitution has granted to the faith community. You can help FOR SA protect our freedom by:
- Praying for us as we defend this precious freedom before government and courts of law;
- Signing up (at no cost) to FOR SA at https://forsa.org.za/contact-us/join-us/ and subscribing to our Newsletter;
- Following us, and sharing our posts, on Facebook at “Freedom of Religion SA”;
- Informing us, should you become aware of any case in which religious freedom is threatened;
- Making a financial contribution to FOR SA at https://forsa.org.za/donate/ As a non-profit organisation, we are entirely dependent upon God’s grace for finances. Your generosity will help make a significant difference as we work to fulfil our mission to keep the Gospel free by advocating for religious freedom. We appreciate every gift, big or small!