VISION & MISSION
Freedom of Religion South Africa (FOR SA) is a non-profit, legal advocacy organisation which serves as a voice to government, parliament, Chapter 9 institutions, courts and the media on issues which threaten to affect our constitutional rights to religious freedom, including the autonomy of religious organisations to determine their own doctrines and regulate their own internal affairs free from interference by the State or anyone else.
We have a single-minded and unwavering commitment to defend the rights that our Constitution gives us, to ensure that we continue to live in a South Africa where all people remain free to celebrate and live out their faith.
As a legal advocacy organisation, FOR SA is:
- faith neutral, standing up for the rights of people of all faiths (or even no faith) – because every individual has right to choose what (and how) they believe (or not believe).
- doctrinally neutral, not holding to any particular theological interpretation of the Scriptures, but rather defending the right of each religious organisation or believer to read and interpret their respective holy texts for themselves.
As part of our mandate, FOR SA is actively engaged in:
- educating and empowering the religious community in particular, with regard to their legal rights and responsibilities;
- creating awareness regarding potential and imminent threats to religious freedom, and advising on how best to respond thereto;
- advising and assisting religious institutions / individuals whose religious rights are threatened;
- building relationship with the various stakeholders, and developing strategic partnerships with (local and international) allied organisations; and
- responding in the media to religious freedom and related issues affecting the religious community.
Although we strategically collaborate with other like-minded organisations on certain issues, there is no other organisation in South Africa that has the same single-minded focus as FOR SA. Please consider supporting FOR SA to help us protect and promote of our rights to religious freedom in South Africa.