FOR SA filed for leave to appeal in the Constitutional Court, against the High Court’s judgment which removed the historic common law defence of “moderate and reasonable chastisement”. This means that if you give your child even the lightest slap on the wrist, you can be charged with assault and – if convicted – will at the very least have a life-long criminal record for child abuse. While FOR SA is utterly opposed to any form of violence against children, we see a clear distinction between violence against children and the loving, mild and moderate discipline of a parent for what he/she believes is in their child’s best interests. We further believe that more “tools” are needed to enable parents to raise their children, not fewer.
In every opinion poll conducted on this issue, over 80% of parents have agreed with this position. We therefore believe that the judgment was a case of “judicial overreach”, and that something which affects millions of South Africans should be dealt with by a more inclusive Parliamentary process, than with the stroke of a judge’s pen. We also believe that it is a concerning erosion of parental rights, which is definitely a negative trend globally and which is starting to take root in South Africa.
We need more than supportive opinion polls to challenge this judgment in the Constitutional Court, where the costs for hearing this case could easily top a million Rand. We are therefore asking for you to do two things – sign the petition and/or make a donation so we can field the best team and defence in this landmark case.
Support FOR SA
Freedom of Religion South Africa (FOR SA) is dedicated to protecting and preserving the freedoms and rights that the South African Constitution has granted to the faith community. You can help FOR SA protect our freedom by:
- Making a financial contribution to FOR SA at http://forsa.org.za/donate/ As a non-profit organisation, we are entirely dependent upon God’s grace for finances. Your generosity will help make a significant difference as we work to fulfil our mission to keep the Gospel free by advocating for religious freedom. We appreciate every gift, big or small!
- Signing up (at no cost) to FOR SA at http://forsa.org.za/contact-us/join-us/ and subscribing to our Newsletter.
- Praying for us as we defend this precious freedom before government and courts of law.
- Following us, and sharing our posts, on Facebook at “Freedom of Religion SA”.
- Informing us, should you become aware of any case in which religious freedom is threatened.